In 2011 a team of the E-volunteering project of the Good Network Foundation realized a flagship project of the European Year of Volunteering 2011, which was co-funded by the European Commission under the auspices of the Polish Presidency in the UE Council, entitled “Values and activities of volunteering and e-volunteering”.
The project consisted of:
- A pan-European edition of the “Discover e-volunteering” competition promoting the use of new technologies in volunteer projects (learn more).
- A Polish “Key values of volunteering” social campaign, which promotes various forms of volunteering. As a part of the campaign, there was organized Poland’s first qualitative research on volunteering, an exhibition of photographs and a debate in the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw, during which were presented fundamental findings from studying a key values of volunteering. Invited guests representing various volunteering communities were working in mini group discussions and have thought about three issues:
- About whether – as the stereotype says – volunteer must sacrifice himself?
- Whether an activist changing the world is also a volunteer?
- What values are the most important to volunteering?
Mini group discussions were moderated by journalists who are familiar with social themes: Mrs. Anna Kołtunowicz, Mrs. Justyna Dżbik, Mr. Romuald Wójcik and Mr. Dariusz Bugalski. Elaborated findings were summarized and commented by experts invited to the debate:
- Mr. Tomasz Bratek, Director of the National Agency of Programme “Youth in action”
- Mrs. Jadwiga Czartoryska, President of the Orange Foundation, Mentor of the Good Network Foundation
- Mr. Paweł Łukasiak, Chairman of the Academy for the Development of Philanthropy in Poland, Mentor of the Good Network Foundation
- Mrs. Maria Popielawska, Coordinator of Volunteering , EURO 2012 Company
- Mr. Dariusz Pietrowski, Chairman of the Association of Volunteering Centre in Warsaw
- Mr. Norbert Szczepański, Director of the Centre for Thought of John Paul II
- Mr. Krzysztof Więckiewicz, Director of the Department of Public Benefit in the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy
The debate was hosted by Mrs. Dorota Stronkowska (from the Academy of the Development of Philanthropy in Poland).
See a photo gallery from the debate:
Summary of the project and an International Final Gala of the Competition “Discover e-volunteering” took place on December 1, 2011 during Volunteering Gala – a cultural event closing celebration of the European Year of Volunteering 2011.
See a photo gallery from the Gala:
For more information:
The ‘Discover e-volunteering” competition: http://discoverevolunteering.eu/
The “Key values of volunteering’ campaign”: www.tojestwolontariat.pl
The project was implemented in partnership with:
• Orange Foundation
• Academy for the Development of Philanthropy in Poland (akademia Rozwoju Filantropii w Polsce)
• Polish Association of Teachers and Animators Klanza (Fundacja Rozwoju Wolontariatu)
• Centre for Thought of John Paul II (Centrum Myśli Jana Pawła II)
• Team of sociologists under the direction of professor Anna Giza-Poleszczuk (as a part of informal partnership).
[translation made by an e-volunteer – Marta Dubak – THANK YOU!]